Free schools in Spain: who are they for and how to apply

Free schools in Spain: who are they for and how to apply

The issue of children's education in Spain is one of the key issues for compatriots permanently residing here. There are different opinions about the quality of free education, but even so, getting into public schools or high schools is not so easy, because you need to collect a certain package of documents and meet a number of conditions established by the state. What is required for a child to start classes in the near future?

To apply, you must:

1. Fill out a form on the form established by the autonomy government. It can be found on the internet or obtained at any municipal school. This document contains information about the child for whom the application is made: name, surname, date of birth, nationality, place of birth, gender of the child, DNI or NIE number or passport number. One parent's information is also required. Further it is required to specify in which educational institution the child plans to study; they are indicated by parents in order of priority (up to 10 educational institutions), in case the desired school has no vacancies. The application must be signed by both parents.

2. Gather a package of documents:

  • A copy of the child's identification document (DNI, NIE, passport);

  • Copy of the family book or birth certificate (with translation into Spanish);

  • copy of the child's parents ID document (DNI, NIE, passport);

  • photographs of the child, such as a foto carnet (2 pcs.)

3. proof of the validity of the choice of a particular educational center, which can include the following documents:

  • A document confirming the fact of residence registration in the municipality where the requested educational institution is located. Registration is the main condition for applying to a public school, and it is not required that the child is legally present in Spain, as education in the Kingdom is compulsory for all children, regardless of their immigration status. Thus, if someone came to the Iberian Peninsula on an ordinary tourist visa, obtained a residence permit, and then the period of legal stay exceeded the maximum established by law, this does not prevent his child from going to school in Spain. The same applies to families who are in the Kingdom by sedentarization.

  • a document confirming that the parents work in the vicinity of the education¬† center: a certificate from the employer stating that the contact employee performs his or her employment function in the employer's unit located in the municipality where the education¬† center is located.

Due to the limited number of spots, not all children who apply get the opportunity to attend the desired public school. However, there are a number of factors that offer a number of advantages in the selection process:

  • Having a sibling already enrolled at the educational institution in question;

  • The presence of a father or mother as an employee of the chosen educational institution;

  • proximity of the educational center to the place of residence or place of work of one of the parents;

  • family income (this applies to low-income families with official status);

  • The presence of 3 or more children in the family;

  • Disability, incapacity or a certain degree of disability of the child or one of his/her family members;

  • Absence of one of the parents (divorce, death, deprivation of parental rights);

  • academic performance (only relevant for students applying for bachillerato).

Ask a question

Please fix next errors:

* - These field a required