Study visa in Spain, requirements for students and how to apply

Study visa in Spain,  requirements for students and how to apply

Spain is one of the most attractive countries for studying: hundreds of thousands of foreign students come here every year. Local universities and schools are included in the world academic rankings, the mild climate, the sea and the cultural and historical heritage make studying an unforgettable adventure, and the cost of courses is one of the most inexpensive. In addition to language education , Spanish educational centers offer high-quality higher education, as well as master's and doctoral programs at prestigious universities and business schools. If you are going to study in Spain for a long time, you can not do without obtaining a student visa with the subsequent registration of a resident card. Here you will not be able to do with a standard tourist ticket, sufficient for a short stay at language courses.


At the moment, there are two categories of study visas:

  • short-term, giving the right to stay in Spain for up to 180 days; 

  • long-term, allowing you to study and live further.

The first type is often used by those who plan to study at language courses. It is quite easy to get it, since there is no need to present a medical certificate or a certificate of non-criminal record. However, taking into account the fact that such a permit cannot be extended and has more restrictions, the second type is the most popular (with the possibility of extension.


  • A foreigner must provide proof that he will have enough funds to live during his studies (savings, salary, etc.) The minimum monthly income indicator IPREM, which in 2020 amounted to 537.84 euros, is taken as a basis: 100% should be taken into account. as a student, 75% - for the maintenance of the first dependent, 50% - for all subsequent ones.

  • If the documents for a student visa are submitted directly in Spain, a mandatory condition is a legal stay on its territory on a tourist or multi-visa of any Schengen state (with a mark in the passport of entry), otherwise you can get not only a refusal, but also immediate deportation.

  • You must have a receipt for the payment of the entrance fee and an application for admission to a full course (at least 20 hours per week) at an educational institution. It must be accredited by the Ministry of Education.

  • One of the most important points is housing for the entire period of study. For a positive decision, it is necessary to provide a lease agreement, an extract from the campus, a bill of sale, if there is real estate in the property, etc.


  • The basis for obtaining it can be education  in language and business schools, at all educational levels at the university, conducting research work, internships without the right to work, participation in volunteer programs and exchange programs. Such a education  pass is always issued for a specific course, its maximum duration is one year, the extension can be carried out without leaving the country.

  • If a positive decision is made after collecting and submitting a package of documents for education , a long-term visa of type D is issued, allowing you to enter Spain. After the notification, the applicant has 2 months to pick it up at the consulate, otherwise the case will be sent to the archive.

  • The validity period of the entry permit is 90 days. During this period, you need to have time to enter the territory of Spain and request a residence permit at the police station no later than a month later.

  • The student has the right to a part-time job - 20 hours. This applies to part-time work under an employment contract or to entrepreneurial activity, but provided that this is not the main source of income and allows you to combine work with study.

  • A long-term study visa is a popular way to move to Spain: after 3 years of legal residence, it is allowed to change the student residence to a full-fledged working one if there is a contract. Meanwhile, it is worth remembering that this is a residence permit, not a residence permit, so this period is not counted when obtaining citizenship.

  • Together with the student, members of his family - spouses, children or parents who cannot independently support themselves for health reasons, have the right to legally stay in the country. At the same time, it is necessary to prove the availability of funds for the maintenance of both the applicant himself and his accompanying relatives.


After choosing a education  center and paying the entrance fee, you can collect a dossier for contacting the consular authorities: the request is submitted personally at the place of residence. At the same time, you need to remember that you can be invited to an interview at any time and require additional documents.

The general list required for obtaining a long-term pass for students looks like this:

  • A completed and signed application.

  • The original and a copy of documents that are valid for more than the duration of the education .

  • For a student visa to Spain, it is mandatory to provide a certificate of enrollment from the educational center with a detailed content of the program and an indication of the number of academic hours, whether it is language courses or a master's degree: this point is considered especially carefully. The educational institution must have an official accreditation of the Ministry of Education and have the right to invite foreign applicants.

  • A document confirming the existence of a source of livelihood, covering the time of education .

  • A certificate of non-criminal record with an apostille.

  • "Full" medical insurance.

  • A medical certificate issued no earlier than 3 months before submitting the application.

  • Confirmation of payment of the fee for a student visa to study in Spain.


Even if your documents are not in doubt, you can not be sure of a positive outcome of the case. Therefore, foreign candidates over the age of 35 who are wondering how to get a study visa to Spain should be ready to refuse, even if their goal was to enroll in real language courses. Other common causes include the following factors:

  • The presence of a criminal record for the last five years in the country of permanent residence.

  • Forgery of the provided certificates.

  • Be on the "stop list" for entry to the Spanish Kingdom or to one of the states with which he has a contract.

  • Other circumstances that prevent the adoption of a positive decision and clarified at the time of consideration of the application, for example, illegal stay at the time of the application.

If the answer is no, you will have to leave the territory of Spain no later than 15 days (if the tourist visa has expired) or file an appeal - 30 days are given for an appeal.

Ask a question

Please fix next errors:

* - These field a required