How to get into top 10 schools in Spain

How to get into top 10 schools in Spain

Types of Spanish schools 

Before traveling to another country, every parent intensively begins to look for information on the Internet about the educational system in Spain.

There are different types of schools in Spain:

  • public

  • private

  • Catholic (mixed)

Public Schools

In Spain public schools are preferred more often than others, because these schools are free. But if education is free, it is necessary to pay for books. The price of books depends on the age of the pupil. From 70 to 350 euros per year. Public schools in Spain, in general, adhere to a unified educational program. Differences may be only in the amount of homework and class schedule.School uniform is welcome but not obligatory. To get into public school a foreigner can have a residence permit.

Private schools

Education is in English. The school has clubs, sections, electives.And these schools have the best teachers. For example, your child may study tennis or swimming with an Olympic champion, or music with a popular musician.For an extra fee, you can study at boarding schools in Spain.  Additionally you can choose to study Spanish, French or another foreign language. Schools practice a personal approach to each student, the development of innate talents and practical skills, their own unique method of teaching. Paid schools have their own bus fleet. Your child will be taken every day by a school bus. You only need to negotiate the route. Private schools are designed mainly for foreigners.

Catholic Schools (Mixed)

Unlike public and private schools, Catholic schools do not just educate, but educate children properly. "Respect" and "hard work" are appropriate terms for children's minds. After all, local children get in trouble because most of them live in complete affluence and don't think about where their money comes from. Catholic schools are state-sponsored, but not entirely. Some of these schools are also supported by charitable committees and the church. Some may be paid for by parents. Consequently, in such schools the subject "religion" is compulsory. Education there is a fee, but the tuition fee is much lower than in private schools. Foreigners are "more willingly" admitted to religious schools in Spain.

How to enroll your child in school in Spain?

It is better to think about the issue of education in advance, no later than March. It is in March that "open days" begin to be held.

For a better acquaintance, it is advisable to visit several nearby schools. You can see the building, look at the dining hall, additional circles.

Such a tour of the schools. At the open house you can ask questions and request the necessary information about the documents.

In Spain, the standard of living is high and the flow of migrants is high, so to get to the budget place every year is becoming more and more difficult.

Many institutions are overcrowded, and the administration does not have the ability to recruit an additional class. To enroll in a fee-paying school in Spain is not so difficult. The main condition is a sufficient amount. Often, when enrolling in the first year of primary education in a private school, you will not be required to have any documents at all, except for the identity card of the child.

Schools may require a language test or a preparatory course. To enroll in a public or religious school you need to take care of the documents. The most important thing is to apply to the Directorate of Education in your place of residence in Spain (a few months before the start of schooling).

Among these recommendations for students, it is not superfluous to have the following:

  • A basic knowledge of Spanish (for a Spanish-speaking school) or a foreign language (for others). This is not required, but will make it very easy for the child to learn

  • even for public schools, a minimum of financial support (for textbooks and activities) is desirable

List of documents

In the case of public schools, an important document for admission is the school's residence permit. To obtain it, you must go to the local education center (centro escolar y en la Concejalía de Educación del Ayuntamiento) where you live in Spain.

At the office, you must fill out a school enrollment document, where you must indicate one or more educational institutions in your place of residence (so familiarize yourself with each of them in advance).

You should also have with you:

  • photographs

  • Original and copies of passports of parents and child

  • Original and copy of child's birth certificate

  • Copy of parents' N.I.E.

  • Vaccination schedule certified by a Spanish pediatrician

  • It is also necessary to pay a fee of 5 to 10 euros.

Sometimes public schools may require a transcript from the previous school, but this is not compulsory.

Ask a question

Please fix next errors:

* - These field a required